Japan | Ktm Immigration
  • +977-01-4426263
  • +977-01-4426164
  • +977-9841514732
  • Working Hours: 7am - 6pm, Sun - Fri


Japan is one of the East Asian country that has border with North and South Korea, China, Russia and South China Sea having world’s 10th largest population i.e., 126 million. The capital city of Japan is Tokyo which is the largest metropolitan city as well as city with the no. 1 economy in the world. It is a ceremonial monarch country i.e. prime minister holds the absolute power nonetheless, is a beautiful and peaceful country with beautiful hearted people. It has 47 prefectures (like districts in Nepal) however, 98% populations are Japanese origin having same number of Japanese speaker. They speak kanji (similar to Chinese letter) and kana (little bit modify version of kanji). The nation is frequently active in earthquake and volcano but they are well prepared for those disasters.

The work force is about 70 million with the unemployment rate of only 4%. They are mostly an exporter of vehicles (Honda, Mitsubishi), chemicals and fish. Their education starts from 6 years to 15 years with additional 3 years of high school resulting into higher literacy rate i.e., around 76% of students graduate every year from their universities.

Most of the people follow Buddhism there and their traditional sport is sumo but basketball is the most popular sport of Japanese and football has also lured huge number of crowd ( football world cup was hosted in 2002 with Korea).

The climatic condition is snowy in winter and warm in summer however, temperature may vary between day and night. The average temperature in summer is 25 degree. 

Some of the prime reasons students consider studying in japan are:

Standards of education:

According to the organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD, Japanese high school students are number one in the world of mathematics and number two in scientific literacy which proves their quality of education. Moreover, among all the Asian countries, Japan has the highest number of Nobel Prize winners and the 10 universities of Japan are ranked in the top 200 worldwide.

Tuition fees and Scholarships

In comparison to the tuition fees to the US, the in-state students of US generally pay at least $10, 000 a year and the international students pay several times more. However, tuition fees at Japanese public universities are $6,500. Moreover, partial and full tuition fees are also granted to high-achieving students from poorer backgrounds, with wide range of scholarships available. The scholarships are provided by both public and private organizations. Some scholarships even provide a monthly living allowance, and either a travel allowance in the first year or paying fees in later years.

A large choice of institutions to choose from

Japan has more than 800 universities and countless vocational and language schools and with Japanese government pleading to double the number of international students by 2020, institutions are providing more and more programs for foreigners. Limitless possibilities are provided and all you have to do is make a choice.

Job opportunities during studies

As the international students are allowed to work and but require a permit from Ministry of Justice to work part-time, most of the colleges of Japan provides their students a part time job inside university. Around 28 hours a week of work permit gets provided to them.

After graduation, many job opportunities await in Japan

Japanese job market is extremely fluid and the demand for language-skilled, international oriented people is always strong. Thus, whatever industry you choose there is a very high chances of finding a job. As a matter of fact, 50% of Japanese companies are eagerly looking out for foreign graduates from Japanese Schools and provides a high paid qualified jobs.

Welcoming Environment

Deeply rooted with the tradition, people of japan are harmonious, civility and serene in nature. They are pretty welcoming in nature, expects and provides respect and prefer a polite and formal title towards each other.

If you are applying for a student visa, you must provide academic reports and previous records of attendance to show that you satisfied the course requirements. We have listed general requirement below.

Academic Requirements

Document of your academic history to date, including high school results/certificates or equivalent academic result/certificate and school leaving certificate (SLC) certificate. You will also need to provide your academic transcripts of subjects studied, provisional and character certificate. 

Entry to

Academic certificate required

Score Required

Education gap less then

Work experience

Language school

High School certificate(+2) OR equivalent certificate

1st class stander(40% above)

6 years

Needed, If you have education gap


Japanese Language Requirements

In order to gain entry to an academic program in Japan, you will have to demonstrate that you have the appropriate level of Japanese language skills. To meet Japanese language proficiency requirements, you must demonstrate that you attend at least 150 hours of Japanese Language classes or should have N5(NAT) level passed certificate. Beside side that Japanese language class has its own important.  Its helps you to gain knowledge about Japanese culture, lifestyle, economic, geographical, educational system and many more which helps you easy settlement during your study in japan. People who know the language properly also tends to get more job opportunities when compared to those who does not know the language.

Financial requirement

You must have enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for at least one year of your stay in Japan. Generally Nepalese student demonstrate (15,00,000-25,00,000)NPR of funds for application. You need to provide specified documentary evidence of your financial capacity during your application process.The type of evidence includes:

  • money deposit(Bank/co-operative balance) or educational loan with an approved financial institution/ co-operative financial institution
  • annual income reports
  • Property

You also need to present 3 years bank/co-operative statement if your money is deposited in a bank/co-operative.

Note: Nobody in immigration will touch, or have access to, this money – you must only PROVE it is in the bank.



Who can sponsor for your study

•          Your spouse (husband/wife)

•          One of your parents

•          A grandparent

•          Your brother or sister

For international students planning to study in Japan, the application process involves a number of steps. Below we listed the admission process step by step.



1st step: Choose your Language school/college

Carefully research schools/colleges and their locations and choose which will best suit your intended career path and requirements. Once you have decided, find out about their fee structure and facilities for international students. Japan takes international students four times a year, however it has got certain criteria’s that varies with the institutes. Intakes available are listed below.

-          1. April – 2 year course

-          2. October – 1.6 years course

-          3. July – 1.9 years course

-          4. January – 15 months course


2nd step: Take an interview

At the beginning of the application, the applicant must pass eligibility test that is calculated by our expertise. After that you will have to face an interview that will be taken by educational Institute. Interview may be conduct through Skype, telephone or face to face. You will get a Letter Of Acceptation after successful interview.


3rd step: Collect required documents

 After successful interview, you need to collect all the documents required for your admission. Below we listed the documents which are required by most of educational institutes.

  1. Academic document till date including SLC- Mark sheet, SLC Character, provisional,+2 Transcript, Character Certificate, provisional
  2. Language certificates
  3. Citizenship
  4. Sponsor citizenship
  5. Work Experiences (If applicable)
  6. Running letter (If you are currently studying)
  7. Recommendation Letters
  8. Updated CV
  9. Passport Photos (at least 10 pcs)
  10. Statement of Purpose
  11. Financial document (Bank or educational Certificate to support your living in japan)
  12. Relationship Certificate
  13. Occupation Certificate
  14. Annual income certificate
  15. Tax clearance certificate
  16. Birth Certificate
  17. Marriage certificate(if applicable)
  18. Name change verification letter of Place or Person
  19. Affidavit of Support by the Sponsors

The applicant must provide all the academic documents to us, those documents are reviewed by our experts and verified if not. Additional certificates if necessary.


4th step: Translate document

In Nepal most of documents are either in Nepali or English language. All the student who want to apply student visa in japan need to translate their document in Japanese language. Please note that the original language version must always accompany the translation. You can translate these documents with KTM Immigration or you can translate with the help of Japanese Language translator.

5th step: Lodge your document

Once you have collected your entire original document, you mustsubmit all documents to the education school or college along with translated document through courier. -  After dropping the application, you will have to wait for COE letter. Your copy of the COE letter will arrive only before one and half month of your departure (i.e. if you have applied for the July session, your COE must arrive on last of March or first of April).


6th step: Get your Certificate Of Eligibility (COE) letter

The COE letter is a certificate of eligibility that will be provided to by Japanese immigration office.If your application is accepted, CONGRATULATIONS!!, you will receive a COE letter. You should carefully read the COE letter and check any conditions that may apply. Now, you can make necessary assessment for your visa application.

7th step: Apply for No Objection letter 

- Once you get the copy of COE, you will have to go to the Ministry of education (MOE) to have your No Objection letter.  In order to send amount to the school or college one will have to have a No Objection letter. In order to make one, you have to take the COE letter provided by the education institute along with your original or notarized educational document.


8Th step: Pay your fees

After receiving No Objection Letter, You can deposit the amount as per yourschooland college requirements this is generally the amount of one full year tuition fees and accommodation fee.The amount can be deposited from any ‘A’ level bank which is recognize by Nepal Rastra Bank. After transferring the money you will receive the original COE letter which should be taken while applying visa.


9th step: Prepare for visa application

As you get your original COE, you can now go to Japanese Embassy for applying your visa. In order to apply for visa, you will have to take an original valid passport and the original COE letter along with other document. You have to face an interview in the embassy during your visa application. For your application decision, it may take upto 3-6 working days.

10th step: Pay Visa fee

Student Visa application fee for Japan is NPR 2,580 per passport and should be paid in Nepalese Currency at the time of submission of Student Visa Application.

11th step: Prepare for departure

Once you get your visa, you have to prepare for going. The preparation includes booking air ticket, shopping, etc.

In order to take your family (spouse)  to Japan, they are required to undertake necessary legal procedures before entering Japan.According to Japanese Law, in order to integrate higher education institutes, foreign students must first study at a Japanese language school and complete there course. Thus, after the completion of course, one is allowed to call their spouse to Japan in a dependent visa.

With the unemployment rate of 4%, finding a job in japan is relatively easy and the earning is also pretty high with compared to western countries. Many foreign students choose to do part-time work to help pay their tuition or living expenses. Today, 75% of foreign students are engaged in some type of part-time work in Japan (Source: JASSO survey 2013). However, under the status of residence of "College Student," which is given to foreign students, they are originally allowed to reside in Japan for the purpose of studying at school, and it is not permitted for foreign students to work for a paid job. Therefore, if anyone resides in Japan with the status of "College Student" and still wishes to take a paid part-time job, he/she is required to obtain an official permission called shikakugaikatsudokyoka (Permit to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted) from the nearest regional immigration bureau. In such a case, the students must observe the condition that such paid work will not interfere with their schoolwork, which is their original purpose of residence in the country. All international students who are enrolled in university , college and language school are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week, While Europe and other countries only provides 20 hour working permit to international students. These are the pay rate in some of the cities in Japan:

 -  Fukuoka      800-1000 yen/hour

 - Tokyo           1000-1200 yen/hour

 - Chiba           900-1100 yen/hour

 - Sendai          800-1000 yen/hour

 - Okinawa      700-1000 yen/hour

How to find part-time work

The following resources are available for foreign students who are looking for a part-time job:

 Student affairs office at universities and schools

 Employment magazines and newspaper ads


  • Job magazines: "TOWNWORK," "an," "DOMO!"
  • Community papers for foreigners:
  • "Metropolis" (distributed in Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama), 
    "Tokyo Notice Board" (distributed in Tokyo and Kanagawa)
  • "Kansai Flea Market" (distributed in Kansai area)

 Public employment offices (Hello Work)

 Circles of friends, classmates, acquaintances, etc.

 Bulletin boards at schools

 Job information websites

The number of foreign workers in Japan was 717,504 (as of October 2013), which was an increase of 35,054 from the number in the same period last year. This was a record high since the notification of the employment of foreign workers became mandatory in 2007. In recent years, an increasing number of foreign students have been working in Japanese companies after their graduation.


The procedures needed for foreign students to find full-time employment are basically the same as those for Japanese students. You will need to research companies through various reference materials and then contact the company that you are interested in. In what schedule should students find full-time employment in Japan? In terms of schedule, many Japanese firms tend to recruit students fresh out of school. Therefore, there is a tendency that both students and companies perform various recruitment and employment activities during a particular season. It is important that you are aware of the schedule. 
Grasp the schedule for finding full-time employment and think of what you need now.

Before Conformation Of Enrollment (COE)

Japanese Language class (free)                                                                                               

Documentation (1,000-5,000)NPR:                                                                          

Translation of Document (300-600)NPR per page:                                               

Courier Charge (3,000-8,000)NPR                :                                                            

Total:              (15,000-20,000)NPR



After Conformation Of Enrollment (CoE)

Tuition fee per year (5,00,000-12,00,000) NPR per year:                             

Hostel fee (25,000-50,000)per month NPR                                                           

Service charge: 60,000 NPR                                                                                        

No objection letter:  2,000NPR                                                                                     

Visa application Charge:  2,580NPR                                                                         

Total:     (6,00,000-15,00,000)NPR                                                                                                                   



After Visa

Air ticket: (40,000-60,000) NPR                                                                                

Pocket money: NPR 100,000                                                                                       

Shopping : (50,000-1,00,000)     

Total:(1,90,000- 2,40,000)

A Certificate of Eligibility is issued before a visa by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice as evidence that the applicant fulfills various conditions of the Immigration Control Act, including those certifying that the activity in which the foreigner wishes to engage in Japan is valid and comes under a status of residence (excluding Temporary Visitor Status).The processes for acquiring a Certificate of Eligibility is usually made by your Japanese language school at the nearest regional immigration authority to the proxy's place of residence in Japan.

The Certificate of Eligibility has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures, since a foreigner in possession of such a certificate can probably acquire a visa at an embassy or consulate without any inquiries being made to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and, by showing the certificate to the immigration officer, obtain landing permission more easily. The number of days the embassy or consulate will take between accepting application and granting the visa differs somewhat from county to country. Visas are issued when you go through customs when you come to Japan.

In order to get student visa for Japan, one should be very careful as the simple mistakes on the documentation can be the main reason for no acceptance of your visa. At, KTM IMMIGRATION, we can help you navigate through various processes available to make studying in Japan a lot easier. Here is how we can help you:

  • We provide you a FREE Counseling session (Telephonic/In-person/online).
  • WE provide you FREE language classes to help you learn the language and knowledge about culture of Japan and get familiar with them.
  • We guide you through the process of applying and we take the responsibility of tracking the applications by staying in touch with the institution on your behalf.
  • We will also guide you through your interviews, the questions you will be asked and the answers that will be favorable for them.
  • Just like your admission application, KTM Immigration helps you lodge your visa file. We will keep you updated on the progress of your application and will track your application on your behalf.
  • All the travel arrangements will be managed by us to begin your new student life in Japan. Air ticketing and foreign exchange can all be arranged through us to make studying overseas easier and a once-in-a-life experience.